Fort Stanton, New Mexico, The Military Years 1855-1896
by Lee Myers, Lincoln County Historical Publications, Book 2
Fort Stanton played a long and distinguished part of the opening the southwest frontier. It was established in 1855 and abandoned by the military in 1899. Situated on the Rio Bonito with the Sierra Blanca mountains to the south and the Capitan mountains to the north, it played a part in the Apache Wars, the Civil War and the Lincoln County War.